Best Watercolor Brushes For Stunning Paint Work
When it comes to painting and artistry, having the right tools is essential to producing a beautiful and satisfactory result. When it comes to painting, your brushes can make all the difference in the slightest details.
Watercolor painting is an especially tricky medium to work with, so it's important that you have the best watercolor brushes to make your painting successful.
But it can be difficult to find out which brushes you should buy, which is why we've collected this list of the top ten best watercolor brushes on the market today. We've also provided a comprehensive guide of watercolor brushes so you can make an informed decision.
Top 10 Best Watercolor Brushes Review
1. Heartybay Professional Fine Tip Paint Brush Set
- ⭐[Professional Art Paint Burshes] - 12 Pieces with 8 sizes (3/8#, 1/4#, 1/2#, 5/0#, 2#, 4#, 6#, 8#); Length: 17.8 cm to 20.2 cm (7.0 to 7.9 inches). These professional round-pointed paintbrushes with a variety of shapes make MIXING COLOR easier.
- ⭐[High-Quality Craftsmanship] - Individually handcrafted with excellent workmanship. This paint brush set is designed with soft & anti-shedding nylon bristle, rust-proof chrome-plated brass ferrules, durable & ergonomic Birch wooden handles. With special surface coating, it shows a beautiful galaxy black.
- ⭐[Multi-purpose Painting Brushes] - Works Well with Watercolor, Oil, Canvas, Gouache, Rocks, Enamel, Vinyl, Acrylic Painting, Body, Nail, Face Painting, Fabric, Egg Painting, Miniature, Model Ships and Airplanes, Wood or board, Glass, Cup, Leather, Shoe, Gesso or Ceramic, Fine Work, Art Class, Craft Art Painting, DIY Art Crafts, etc.
- ⭐[Wonderful gift idea] - Great for School, Classroom, Travel, Home, Class, Office, and Outdoor; Supplies for Christmas & Halloween, Birthday, Party, Back to School, New Year's Day, Valentine's Day, Easter, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving Day.
- ⭐[Help you to Make Gorgeous Art] - Perfect for artists of any skill level, painters, amateurs, beginners, hobbyists, students, teachers, adults, teens, kids, children, girls & boys. Wonderful gift idea for your friends and families who have fun in painting!
- ⭐[Easy Maintenance] - Clean your small brushes immediately after using them, avoid scrubbing while cleaning. Never leave your brushes in the water or solvent for a long time. Air-dry the detail brushes and store clean brushes vertically, head-side-up, or horizontally. Suitable for long-term use without affecting performance or appearance after painting and cleaning
- ⭐[WORRY-FREE SHOPPING] - Each acrylic paint brush set is covered by a Money-Back Guarantee. If this watercolor painting brush set doesn't meet your expectations, contact us for a hassle-free refund.
This affordable set comes with 12 brushes in eight sizes that can be used for both watercolor and oil painting. It includes a variety of shapes, such as Flat, Filbert, Round, Liner, Wash, Angular, and more. The bristles are soft, durable, and made of nylon, which makes these perfect for kids and beginners.
The handles are also ergonomic, durable, and well-built. You can also use them for other applications like face, body, and nail painting, craft art painting, miniature or ceramic painting, and more.
2. Professional Artist Brushes for Watercolor, Gouache & Fluid Acrylics
- 𝟭𝟰-𝗽𝗰 𝗦𝗲𝘁 𝗦𝗽𝗲𝗰𝗶𝗳𝗶𝗰 𝗧𝗼 𝗪𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝗕𝗮𝘀𝗲𝗱 𝗔𝗿𝘁... designed by artists for artists with all you need for this medium; 1” Cats Tongue, Round Size 2, 3, 5, 7, & 11, Rigger 3, Detail Round 000, Filbert 6, Flat 8, Angle 5, Fan 3, Flat 4, and a palette knife
- 𝗜𝗺𝗽𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗪𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿𝗰𝗼𝗹𝗼𝗿 𝗣𝗲𝗿𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗺𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲... 8 x squirrel hair watercolor brushes which provide exceptional water & pigment absorption with the springiness of added synthetic fibers (30%) to perform like sable, plus 5 x fully synthetic brushes to give extra snap and smooth flow control
- 𝗧𝗵𝗲𝘆 𝗛𝗼𝗹𝗱 𝗧𝗵𝗲𝗶𝗿 𝗦𝗵𝗮𝗽𝗲 𝗘𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝗪𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗛𝗲𝗮𝘃𝘆 𝗨𝘀𝗲... ZenART watercolor paint brushes blend in elastic fibers to maintain their shape, and offer artists precision detailing work with consistent flow control even after continued use; they are resilient to washing, and have double-crimped seamless ferrules to prevent shedding
- 𝗦𝗵𝗼𝗿𝘁 𝗛𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝗙𝗼𝗿 𝗙𝘂𝗹𝗹 𝗘𝘅𝗽𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻... specifically shaped, weighted and balanced for precise horizontal painting, ideal for watercolor, gouache, inks & batik; this exquisite birch wood art brush set also has 7 layers of UV coating to prevent flaking, and provide slip & wear resistance
- 𝗔 𝗗𝗼𝗻𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗧𝗼 𝗕𝟭𝗚𝟭 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗶𝘁𝘆... a portion of each paint brush set sold goes to B1G1; we support projects that bring help to women and children suffering from poverty, inequality, and injustice
This collection by ZenArt includes 14 professional-grade brushes of various sizes and types, such as round, rigger, Filbert, flat, angle, and fan brushes. They are made with a squirrel blend and Japanese synthetic bristles to apply perfect amounts of paint and water across your medium.
The handles are short and made of lacquered Birchwood to provide an ergonomic, balanced, and comfortable painting experience, while the nickel-plated ferrules keep the bristles from shedding and the handle held tightly together.
The kit also comes with a palette knife, a carrying case, and a one-year money-back guarantee.
3. Paint Brush Set of 15 Art Brushes for Acrylic Painting, Watercolor, Oil and Gouache.
This set comes with 15 paintbrushes including flat, angled, round, filbert, fan, and rigger brushes of various sizes that can be used with watercolors, acrylics, or even oils.
The bristles are made of mixed synthetic hair and hog, sable, and goat hair and include double-crimped ferrules for excellent durability, less bristle shedding, smooth painting, and shape retention.
The handles are long, ergonomic, and balanced for a comfortable painting experience. The set also comes with a pop-up stand and portable protective case in a stylish box with a lifetime money-back guarantee.
With everything that you need to paint, these are definitely some of the best watercolor brushes for beginners, students, or even professionals.
4. Virtuoso Fine Paintbrushes, Handmade Detail Paint Brush Set
If you're looking to do detailed work, this miniature brush set may have the best watercolor brushes for you. It comes with 15 round, liner, and flat brushes in various sizes with bristles made of precision-point Korean filament.
Thanks to Virtuoso's anti-shedding technology and double-crimped metal ferrules, you don't have to undergo any frustration with lost bristles.
The long handles are ergonomic and well-balanced. The brushes can also be used for soft strokes and blending as well as for other mediums like acrylic, enamel, and oil paint. The kit comes with a carrying case and a lifetime replacement guarantee.
5. Mont Marte Art Paint Brushes
- Extremely Versatile: 15 different sizes from 3/0 to 12 ¨C perfect for every level of artists from kids, beginners to professionals. If you are looking for elegantly made paint brushes for personal use or as a gift, our long-handled paint brushes set will be ideal for you.
- Superior Quality: This art paint brush set is a great introduction to professional quality. The paint brushes are handmade with care, using the finest material to ensure that no bristles are left behind to spoil your work. The taklon hair is thick and smooth, and sealed in aluminum ferrule firmly that won't come out easily. The shafts are wooden, and will not be bent or broken even with long-term use.
- Wide Application: These paint brushes are suitable for various kinds of painting ¨C capable of acrylics, watercolors, gouaches, and oil paintings.
- Strong Portbility: The paint brushes set comes with a gorgeous zippered holder, which potentially could be a wonderful Christmas gift for family and friends. With the handy case, it is also perfect for carrying outside but still keeping art paint brushes organized and in tip-top condition.
- Storing Tips: Clean art paint brushes set in warm soapy water and rinse well immediately after use. Reshape bristles gently and wait till dry before storage.
The Mont Marte set features more excellent brushes for beginners, with 15 Filbert, angled, round, flat, fan, rigger, liner, and mop brushes of various sizes for excellent versatility.
The bristles are made of Taklon and are held in with the aluminum ferrules, which make it very durable and almost completely eliminate shedding.
The long, ergonomic handles are made of wood and provide a balanced, comfortable painting experience. These brushes can also be used with acrylics, oils, and gouaches. The kit comes with a lightweight zippered carrying case.
6. Paint Brushes for Acrylic Watercolor, Oil, Gouache, Paint
- 🎨 NO MORE FRUSTRATION OVER USING BAD BRUSHES - No loose hairs or paint flaking off of these art brushes, so you enjoy being in the painting zone with these paint brushes instead of picking paint brush hairs or flakes out of your work.
- 🎨 WORKS FOR ALL PAINT TYPES - This brush set can be used for oil paints, acrylic paints and even water color paints; these brushes are also very versatile as there a mix of 4 natural hog hair bristle brushes and 11 synthetic bristle brushes to create the brush strokes you need.
- 🎨 SPEND MORE TIME ENJOYING PAINTING YOUR MASTERPIECE - These professional high quality paint brushes are custom designed to last longer with better components, therefore you don't have to pick out debris from your paintings and your brushes don't fall apart.
- 🎨 ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT BRUSH FOR YOUR PAINTING STYLE - This ergonomically designed long handled paint brush set includes 15 paint brushes including 4 flat paint brushes, 1 fan brush, 3 round brushes, 4 filbert brushes, 1 angle brush, 1 rigger brush, and 1 wide brush so you can paint in every style you want.
- 🎨 PAINT MORE, CLEAN LESS - You will spend less time washing these brushes, the paint brushes will not peel or shed, and that gives you more time to paint; BONUS - comes with lightweight, compact carrying case to make going to your studio or art class easier. Makes the perfect Christmas Gift. Grab the gift for the artist in your life.
The Maestro Series XV brushes by D'Artisan are some of the best watercolor brushes when it comes to versatility. The kit comes with 15 flat, fan, round, filbert, angle, rigger, and wide brushes in various sizes to accommodate a wide range of styles.
The bristles are made of a combination of hog hair and synthetic fibers that mimic soft natural sable hair, providing great durability and paint application. They are also anti-shedding and held in with double-crimped anodized ferrules that increase this brush's durability.
The long handles are made of varnished Birchwood with the brush shape and number printed on them, providing a comfortable and easy painting experience without fatigue or confusion.
They can also be used with oil and acrylic paints. The kit comes with a magnetic snap-lock carrier and a lifetime return and replacement guarantee.
7. Winsor & Newton Cotman Short Handle Brush
- Made of fine quality blended synthetic fibers of differing thicknesses.
- Soft filaments with good flow control, excellent spring, point and color carrying capacity.
- Strong, resilient & durable.
- Easy to clean.
Though the Winsor & Newton Cotman brush set only features 7 brushes, it still provides a high-quality product. It has two round brushes and one each of the rigger, Filbert, stroke, angled, and fan brushes.
The bristles are made of blended synthetic fibers of varying thicknesses for whatever your watercolor painting needs are.
The nickel-plated brass ferrules are corrosion resistant and prevent filament clogs, providing extra durability and retention. The short blue polished handles allow for fine, detailed painting and provide a comfortable experience.
8. Artist Paint Brushes - Red Sable (Weasel Hair)
- PROFESSIONAL QUALITY Red Sable Artist Brushes for Acrylic and Oil Painting and the Nature of the Red Sable (Weasel Hair) also Lends itself to Watercolor and Gouache Painting.
- THE NATURAL CHARACTERISTICS of the Red Sable Hair (more commonly known as weasel hair) Offer Excellent Liquid Holding Capacity that results in an Easy, Consistent Smooth Flow of Paint.
- THE WELL BALANCED, Polished Birch Wood, Long Handles Have a Luxurious Feel and are Easy and Delightful to Use.
- THE SECURE FERRULES are Made from High Grade Copper, Ensuring No Hair Loss or Wobble and Providing Years of Excellent, Reliable Service.
- THE FINE FILBERT HEAD Brushes Come in Sizes: #2, #4, #6, #8, #10, #12, providing a Good Range of Brush Strokes and Techniques to Produce Your Work of Art.
Magic Touches provides some of the best watercolor brushes for professionals to add to their arsenal with this kit, which features brushes in sizes 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12. The bristles are made of red sable hair (weasel hair) that are soft yet strong, picking up color excellently and smoothly applying paint and water.
They are held in place by the high-quality copper ferrules, which do an excellent job of preventing shedding or fraying.
Though you won't need to hold these brushes long due to their bold strokes, the long Birchwood handles are ergonomic and comfortable.
The brushes are also versatile, able to be used with gouache, oil, and acrylic paint as well as watercolor. The kit comes with free e-books that will help you enhance your techniques.
9. AIT Art Select Red Sable Detail Brush Set
- FINE DETAIL SABLE BRUSHES: This 7-piece red sable brush set features small round and liner brushes and a shader for ultra sharp lines and minute details.
- CRAFTED TO BE SUPERIOR: World-renowned German quality lets you stop worrying about brushes that rust, shed hairs, and fall apart, so you can focus on your art instead. Absolutely pure Russian Red Sable hair provides excellent paint holding capacity with smooth flow and excellent snap and spring of the brush head.
- VERSATILE: These brushes are well suited for oils, acrylics, watercolors, or gouache. Use them with your favorite medium, or experiment with different ones. The varied sizes and brush types let you try your hand at any kind of detailed work and get outstanding results!
- NO-HASSLE 100% RISK-FREE 1-YEAR GUARANTEE: Your satisfaction is guaranteed, no questions asked -- you risk absolutely nothing.
- ORDER TODAY: Quantities of this handmade set are limited, so click the Add To Cart button now, and stop wasting your money on cheap "mixed hair" imitations.
This excellent German brush set features seven round, liner, and mini liner brushes as well as a shader, allowing you to use them for detailed work. The bristles are made of pure Russian red sable hair that provides excellent spring, superior color pickup, and a smooth flow.
They are held securely in place by double-crimped silver nickel ferrules that are corrosion-proof and extremely durable.
They can also be used with other mediums such as acrylic, oil, and gouache paint with no downgrades in performance. The kit comes with a padded protective storage box and a 1-year replacement guarantee.
10. MEEDEN Professional Sable Hair Detail Paint Brush Set
- PERFECT SET FOR FINE DETAIL PAINTING: Our fine paint brushes is perfect for precision painting in all your acrylic, watercolor, enamels, gouache or oil projects. Also ideal for face painting, body painting, nail art, coloring books and paint by numbers
- FINE TIPPED BRUSHES FOR MICRO DETAILING: Value set contains 7 detail brushes size 4/0,3/0,2/0,0,1,2,3. With a thin tip synthetic hair paint brushes to choose from, you will be able to use our detail painting set for all your creative and artistic projects
- SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED HANDLES: Ergonomic designed short hard wood handle, which has a triangular shape, dull polished and then spray lacquer, antislip, comfortable to gripe and more smoothly creating nail works, aiding in muscular dexterity for painting with ease and control
- NO SHEDDING OR SPLITTING: Each brush has a seamless nickel ferrel that will not rust or crack, holding the strong hair firmly in place without splitting or shedding
- 100% RISK FREE PURCHASE: If you are not satisfied with MEEDEN detail paint brush,we’re very happy to either provide a no-questions-asked Refund or Replacement. Order today risk free
Meeden gives us another affordable set of the best watercolor brushes for detailed work, with seven detailing brushes in sizes 4/0, 3/0, 2/0, 0, 1, 2, and 3 for all your detailing needs.
The bristles are made of professional-grade sable that maintain their super fine point and seamless, corrosion-resistant nickel ferrules that hold them in place and prevent shedding.
The brushes have short, triangular-shaped, anti-slip hardwood handles with a rich brown spray lacquer that are ergonomically designed, providing excellent comfort and control.
They can be used with other mediums such as acrylics, gouache, and oil; they can also be used for models, miniatures, and nails. Thanks to their great design, they are great for beginners and professionals alike.
How We Reviewed
There are so many features to choosing watercolor brushes, but each one is important to make sure you're getting the best watercolor brushes for your art.
To ensure that we are providing you with the best brushes on the market, we researched watercolor brushes and painting and narrowed down our parameters to each brush set's features, price, and where it can be bought.
By comparing across these three categories, we were able to make an informed selection of the best watercolor brushes available on the market today.
Overall Price Range
Since there are so many types, sizes, and bristle materials when it comes to watercolor brush sets, their cost can differ greatly.
Brush sets can cost anywhere from around $10 to around $50, with more expensive brushes having better construction materials, accessories, more brushes, a greater variety of brush types, and more.
We included a good range of prices so you can find the best watercolor brushes while sticking to your budget.
Watercolor Brushes FAQ
When it comes to painting, there are many types of brushes. This is true even for watercolor painting; the slightest variation in what type of brush you use, the shape, and the size can all affect how your work turns out. So trying to figure out all these factors can be time consuming and a headache of a chore.
But don't worry! We've answered some of the most common questions about watercolor brushes below so that your task of finding the best watercolor brushes for you will be easier and you'll be armed with more information from the beginning.
What Is a Watercolor Brush?
Watercolor brushes are painting brushes that are specifically designed to work well with the delicacy and fluidity of watercolor techniques and paints. They come in many sizes and shapes, and are typically made from different materials than other brushes such as acrylic brushes.
What Can Watercolor Brushes Be Used For?
One of the best things about watercolor brushes is their versatility of applications when it comes to painting with watercolors.
They can be used for blending and shading colors, applying a wash for a background, creating special effects like sunlight on leaves or water, and adding small, intricate brush strokes to portraits or still-life paintings to add realism.
They can even be used for other painting mediums besides canvas or paper, such as body or face painting, building figurines or models, and painting watercolor landscapes. Some can also be used for gouaches, acrylic, oil, and enamel paint.
What Type of Bristles Are Best for Watercolor Brushes?
The type of bristles you need largely depends on your level of expertise when painting with watercolors. Watercolor brushes can have bristles made of synthetic fibers or animal hair.
If you are a beginner, then synthetic fibers like Taklon or nylon are a great choice. However, brushes with animal hair bristles are best for professionals. They can be made of the hair from cows, goats, hogs, camels, sables, or squirrels, with sable hair being the most high-quality.
To lower costs, some brushes may have a combination of animal hair and synthetic fibers as well, which take on some characteristics of both types.
What Features Make a Good Watercolor Brush Set?
A brush set with the best watercolor brushes will have the right types of brushes, a good number of individual brushes, bristles that suit your painting level, and comfortable handles that are securely attached to the head of the brushes by durable metal ferrules.
The Verdict: The Best Watercolor Brushes
Now that we've reviewed each brush, you may have noticed there were several kits for specific purposes included on the list. However, there was one kit on the list that we felt had the best watercolor brushes, the D'Artisan Maestro Series XV set.
We loved the 15 brushes of various types and sizes with high-quality natural/synthetic blend bristles. This kit is perfect for the beginner, the student, or even the professionals, so it is sure to enhance any watercolor painter's painting kit.