Best Oil Paint Reviews – Top Selected Sets For Professional Artist and Beginners
Oil paints are produced by mixing a pigment in dry oil, which is mostly obtained from linseed. Over the past few years, however, we have seen an increase in the use of walnut oil for certain obvious reasons.
Since the 12th century, oil paints have been utilized by several artists in Europe owing to its durability and luminosity. Furthermore, they dry at a much slower rate than acrylic or tempera paints, thereby enabling the artist to be able to alter parts of a painting easily by re-working and even changing the whole layers of paint on the composition.
Even though oil paints have been used for the past centuries, they are still very popular among artists today; notwithstanding the fact, they’re a bit trickier to work with than acrylic paints.
This is because oil paints offer a unique artistic experience that you won’t get with acrylics. Thus, whether you’re a professional artist or a beginner, you need to find the best oil paint for beginners and watercolor paper that suit your needs.
Colore Oil Paint Set
U.S. Art Supply Professional Color Set
Martin/ F. Weber Bob Ross Basic Paint Set
M. Graham Artist Oil Paint
Royal and Langnickel Oil Color Painting
10 Best Oil Paint for Beginners And Professional Artist
An artist picks a brand of oil paint depending on certain factors including; the variety of colors, the paint’s consistency, and price. For a start, it is better to buy a few tubes of artist’s colors rather than an entire range of inexpensive paints because the colors are more saturated and also produces better results when the colors are mixed.
Since it is not always easy to chose the differentiate the best oil paint for artists, we have put together an oil paints review and watercolor paint review to save you the time and energy you will spend searching for a suitable oil paint. Here are our top 10 picks:
1. Colore Oil Paint Set – Great For Professional Artists
(Perfect For Use On Landscape And Portrait Canvas Paintings)
This oil paint set made by one of the world’s best oil paint brands is produced from a unique blend of professional level paints and the simplicity of beginner type paint to deliver an oil pain that is extra durable and outrageously convenient for anyone who wants to paint no matter their level of experience.
Thus, we can conveniently say that this is one of the best rated oil paint for beginners. In comparison to other oil paint set, Colore is made from richly pigmented products that possess strong colors which will make your artwork come alive and more appealing to viewers.
It also comes with a collection of clean, exceptionally transparent, permanent and crisp colors which deliver brilliant and vibrant oil paintings, especially on canvas. Owing to its rich pigments, this color set delivers streamlined consistency on diverse applications and materials.
You can use each color alone or in combination with another suitable one to produce the brilliant color expression you are dreaming of. Furthermore, with the 24 colors of oil paint in this set, you possess an enormous choice of colors to create beautiful pieces of art and will never run out of color options.
What’s more, these colors will make your artwork stay vibrant for years, while still retaining its pigmentation.
- Perfect for professionals and beginners
- It covers the entire color wheel
- It contains more than 16 contemporary colors.
- Contains rich pigments
- Maintains the vibrancy and brilliance of your artwork for a long time
2. U.S. Art Supply Professional 36 Color Set of Art Oil Paint in Large
(Rich Vivid Colors for Artists, Students, Beginners)
The colors of this set of oil paint are made with premium quality pigments which give it its smooth consistency and brilliant blend when combined. It is one of the top rated oil paints for canvas and other art media and suitable for producing wall art, landscapes, abstracts scenery and portraits.
Whether you are an aspiring artist or a professional, this color set is perfect for you. Moreover, the paints are produced from non-toxic, acid-free and oil-based materials which are in conformity with standards for art items.
Even children can use this oil paint to draw as they take their first steps into the world of art. Another significant feature of this color set is its 2-sided mixing wheel which is meant to guide you on how to mix colors efficiently. Consequently, you will be able to create your desired colors quickly and deliver brilliant paintings.
Also, this color set has a color terminology tool that gives you essential info about color terms as well as definitions utilized by artists. Thus, when you read or hear terminology that is strange, you can easily consult the color terminology tool. With the 36 excellent quality colors that are contained in this set, you are spoiled for choice of colors and will have sufficient colors for all your projects.
- Price is cheap for its excellent quality
- The 36 colors come in 18ml tubes
- Comes with color mixing wheel and color terminology tool
- Safe for kids
- Perfect for both professionals and aspiring artists
3. Martin/ F. Weber Bob Ross Basic Paint Set
Bob Ross, host of Joy of Painting show sets out to teach you how to get started on painting diverse types of artwork. The set comes with guidelines and other things you require to complete your first painting.
The Bob Ross set comes with five 37mm tubes of oil color, 118mm of liquid white color, number 5 detail painting knife, one 1-inch landscape brush and in-depth instructions on how to start and finish your painting.
However, the set does not include a painting surface, paint thinner and palette, so you need to buy your own before you start painting.
It is a high quality oil paint that is made with non-toxic materials in line with standard guidelines. If you are just taking your first steps into painting, then this paint set is for you as it contains detailed instructions on how to use the oil paint and its components.
- The kit contains five colors: phthalo blue, sap green, alizarin crimson, cadmium yellow and titanium white
- Comes with instructions
- Perfect for beginners
4. M. Graham Artist Oil Paint Cadmium Yellow
This oil paint is the most beautiful and easy-to-work-with cadmium color available in the market today. Each color is specially made in small batches to give richness, clarity, permanence and depth.
The oil paint is produced from artist’ pigments without the addition of any extenders or other substances that will adulterate the oil paint. The pigment is then mixed with original and unadulterated American walnut oil.
This results in a high quality oil paint that produces natural, lively and brilliant colors. Walnut oil is used to make this oil paint because it enables the producers to use a larger amount of pigment, which results in an extraordinarily rich, color saturated, brilliant and strong tinting artwork.
The beautiful things about this oil paint are that it can be intermixed and can be used with most other mediums, varnish, and oils including alkyd resin products. Furthermore, the producers of this oil paint made use of walnut oil rather than the more popular linseed oil because it dries slowly and has a lower chance of yellowing.
Also, its lower viscosity means it is perfect for glazing as well as for applications that require thinner uses of paint with no additional need for turps. It is perfect for different types of artwork because the colors retain their clarity for a long time and it does not suffer discoloration that is often experienced with drying oils.
- Made with pure walnut oil
- Higher quantity of pigment
- Colors retain brilliance for a long time
- Moderate drying time
- Lower viscosity
5. Royal and Langnickel Oil Color Painting Artist Set for Beginners
Are you just taking your first steps as an artist or are you looking for the perfect oil paint for your kid? Then, look no further, because the Royal and Langnickel oil color paint is the one of the best rated oil paint for beginners.
It comes with everything you require to begin painting all those ideas you have in your head. The set features a step-by-step guide on how to do the basic steps in drawing, ensuring that you are properly taught how to apply your new skills.
As soon as you have been able to get started on the basics, release your creativity. It comes with ten 12 ml oil paint tubes, two cancas (5’ by 7’), six white bristle brushes, 1 each of refined linseed oil, white eraser, graphite pencil, sharpener, painting cup, palette knife, plastic palette, color beginner guide and storage box.
Since you may be buying it for your child, the case is sturdy enough to withstand some level of rough handling. The paint is made from non-toxic materials which conform to standards, making it suitable for people of all ages.
- Comes with how-to guide
- Features all the important tools to get you started in your new skill
- Wood box measures 13-inch by 6-1/4-inch by 2-inch
- Have 10 different colors.
6. Grumbacher Pre-tested Oil Paint
The Glumbacher pre-tested oils are produced with the best and purest pigments blended with carefully selected alkali-refined linseed oil. Consequently, this is one of the good oil paint brands available in the market today.
The result of its excellent production is seen in its high chroma, outstanding tinting, superior adhesion, excellent working features, adequate light fastness as well as permanence of work it is used to produce.
The Glumbacher is also a professional paint because many of the colors are single pigment and possess greater tinting strength. Furthermore, before releasing this oil paint to the public, the company has subjected this paint to testing for viscosity, mixability, drying attributes, masstone, pigment dispersion and lightfastness.
This means that you are buying a product that has undergone strenuous testing process to ensure that it meets the standards required to deliver excellent artworks.
- Each set contain 10 colors: Alizarin Crimson, Ivory Black, Grumbacher Red, Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre, Thalo Blue, Bismuth Yellow, Titanium White, Thalo Green (Blue Shade) as well as Burnt Umber.
- Possesses archival performance
- Perfect for professional artists
- The tube comes in 24ml/0.81 oz tubes
7. MyArtscape Oil Paint Set – Professional Painting Supplies
The MyArtscape oil paint is one of the best selected oil paints for canvas. Whether you are a professional artist or a beginner, this archival paint that has an oil finish is for you ensuring that you get professional quality results.
It is made with the purest pigments to ensure that you get superior results for your works. Apart from that, the pigment load is high, producing vibrant oil paintings that retain their colors and brilliance for a very long time.
All the material used to make this oil paint is non-toxic and comply with all the safety standards. Since MyArtscape believe in their products, they offer a one year stress free replacement guarantee on this oil paint set.
Consequently, if there is any fault to all or part of the components of this oil paint set from the company, be assured that it will be replaced accordingly. Furthermore, the colors of this oil paint set deliver thick consistency with each brush stroke and its finishing is glossy and lustrous. Also, the colors can be mixed according to your needs and they blend perfectly.
- It has 24 colors in the set:
- Each color is contained in a 12ml tube
- Suitable for professionals, beginners, and kids
- Produces vibrant paintings that last for a very long time
- Comes with a 1 year replacement guarantee
8. Winsor & Newton Winton Oil Colors Set
This is one of the good oil paint brands, owing to its reliability and ability to retain its color and brilliance over a long period of time.
Winston is a conventional set of oil paint that is produced from affordable pigments, which is specially formulated for beginners and professional artists who need large amount of color but at an affordable price.
For years, Winston has applied a blend of traditional skills and modern color chemistry methods to produce a group of excellent quality colors. Winston lays great emphasis on color performance, which is why they do not compromise on pigment load. Rather, they utilize a large amount of pigment so as to deliver excellent covering power and tinting strength.
This makes it one of the strongest oil paints in the market. Furthermore, the consistency of Winston is more uniform than that of most other oil paints and is slightly stiffer. Thus, it is able to produce an outstanding retention of brush and palette knife strokes.
Also, owing to the large amounts of pigments, the sheen of this oil paint is higher and its gloss level varies with individual hues. You can control this by selecting appropriate surfaces and mediums as well as by adding solvents.
- Contains traditional range of colors
- It is affordable
- Comes in 21mm tubes
- It is made in 10 colors
- Made with non-toxic materials that conform with regulations
- Colors are light fast and permanent
- Can be mixed with other brands
9. Jack Richeson Paints Oil Colors
If you are just taking your first steps into the world of painting, you will need a paint that will not disappoint, but will encourage you to do more. That is exactly what Jack Richeson, which is one of the best selected oil paint for beginners does for you.
The set comes with eighteen bright colors that you can learn with. The colors can also be mixed according to your needs to deliver the painting of your dreams. The colors come in 12ml tubes, so they are big enough to last for several painting sessions.
The product is made from non toxic materials, which makes it perfect for children too. Get it as a gift for your little one and watch them produce amazing paintings. It contains a good amount of pigment which is why it is able to produce brilliant bright colors that last for a long time.
- Has a high selection of colors
- The price is affordable
- Perfect for beginners and kids
- The colors mix very well
- The paint is made of non toxic materials
10. Daveliou Oil Painting Kit for Beginners Students and Artists
The Daveliou is a good oil paint because it has been produced using qualities and features that define a worthy oil-based paint. It has features such as excellent color strength, quality lightfastness, thick consistency, permanence and high pigmentation.
These features are blended to deliver an oil paint that is one of the best rated oil paint for artists, their level of professionalism notwithstanding. Thus, whether you are a learner or a professional, you will have fun painting with it.
This oil paint is combined with linseed oil to make the paint thinner, which means that with white spirit you can clean that brush and other tools.
With a lab formulation influenced by a mix of Western and Eastern styles, Daveliou makes use of the newest organic and inorganic pigments combined with water-based surfactant binders with the aim of preserving brush handling features.
Furthermore, the pigments used in this paint have a consistent viscosity which offers outstanding adhesion, higher tinting strength, smoothness, durability, high chroma and pigment density. All of these features combine to make this oil paint one of the top rated oil paint for canvas.
Furthermore, the Daveliou has premium oil emulsion qualities that make it easy for the paint to dry fast, which allows superior body and gloss control features that are workable when used in thick paintings.
The paint also has the ability to rewet instantly, while not deteriorating in the tube. Daviliou is so sure of its product that it offers a 100% money back or replacement guarantee in case you experience any issues with the product.
- Measures 12″ x 6″ x 1″
- Outstanding on canvas, wood, fabric and paper
- Made with natural oil emulsion
- Comes with 12 different colors in 32ml oil paint tubes
- Meets all the non-toxic standards
- Can be diluted with water or altered with oil, gel or pastes
Things to Look When Choose The oil Paint
After we have reviewed a few recommended oil paint brands for you to chose from, it is apt that you get tips on how to select the right one for yourself. There are so many oil paint options, which is why it is common for people to have a few issues with making a decision on which to pick.
That said, however, it is also possible that you have a criteria in mind when choosing your oil paint. Just in case you have a few doubts regarding the what to consider before making a decision, here are a few important things to take into consideration when looking for the top oil paint brands.
Type of oil used in the paint
To produce a durable, brilliant and outstanding painting, you need to consider the type of oil used. Majority of the oil paints today utilize either linseed oil or walnut oil. However, linseed oil used by majority of the high-quality oil paints for many obvious reasons.
First of all, it produces a stronger film and dries faster when compared to other drying oils. However, walnut oil is a great alternative to linseed oil. While it doesn’t produce a strong film as linseed, it does not yellow as fast as linseed and produces paintings with juicy, brushable quality.
Also, even though walnut oil is not as fast as linseed when drying, it is still faster than other oils.
To get the best of both oils, an ideal paint would be a combination of the two, as this will decrease the negative features of either of them. Several oil paint producers utilize poppy and safflower oils, especially for lighter colours and whites.
This is because poppy and safflower oils do not yellow as fast as linseed oil. On the other hand, they are more likely to crack and do not produce a strong film as linseed, which is why most artists will rather go with the yellowing of linseed oil.
That said, it should be noted that in the long run, all oil paint films are going to crack, it’s just a matter of when.
Information about Pigment
In most oil paints, you will find information about the pigments on the tube or other places in the package or on their website. No matter how tempted you are to pick an oil paint, if it does not contain info on the pigments that is a negative sign.
Every pigment possesses its own distinct feature that includes transparency, drying time, hue bias and tinting strength. Having an idea about the properties enables you to make informed decisions regarding pigments used in the paint.
Furthermore, certain pigments are more expensive than others, which is why you should know exactly what you are buying. You are likely to be disappointed if you decide to go with a paint that does not list its pigments either on the tube, package or website.
This does not refer to the features of pigments, but rather the amount of information contained in the product as well as the openness of a manufacturer to discuss your questions in an honest manner.
While there are standards that have been established such as ASTM D4302, they are not compulsory and the industry does not enforce these standards. Consequently, artists are left to decide on which product information is right and the product they can out their trust in. Nobody wants to sell paints without making money, so you should not believe every statement a manufacturer writes about their product.
Do not buy oil paints out of marketing romance, but go with facts and scientific proof. A good starting point will be to look for a company that is handled by an artist. This is because a company that does not have a painter as the head will not invest the kind of passion, time and energy required to make a paint that a real artist will love.
It is better to pay more for quality paint rather than student grade paint. It is certain that the more the pigment, the costlier the paint will be. However, be careful not to pay higher because of a brand name or just for the sake of marketing romance.
This is very common in the clothing industry, where many people prefer to pay more money for the same product as long as it has a known brand name on it. Don’t think that this does not happen in the oil paint industry, it does. It is possible to get an extremely good paint for a very decent price and vice versa.
Quality of tube
It is very frustrating when a tube cap splits or the tubes break, spilling its contents on other tubes. It is not only messy; it can prove costly because it can mix up with other paints, making the entire collection useless. Therefore, go for paints that are package in decent tubes.
How to Clean oil Paint Brushes
You cannot be a painter without paint brushes and if you add the fact that they are expensive, you will appreciate that it is necessary to care for them. They will last for a very long time if you look after them.
The best way to care for your brushes is to apply rigorous cleaning procedures. If you plan to paint again within a few days, here is an easy way to clean your brushes:
- Wipe them down to get rid of any excess paint
- Dip the tip of the brushes in slow drying oils like Winsor and Newton Safflower or artist level poppyseed oil
- Keep your bushes in a rack to dry
- When next you want to use the brushes, all you need to do is wipe them down. However, if you want to use a pure color, you have to wipe them thoroughly.
However, if you are not going to use your brushes for some time, it has to be cleaned rigorously. To do this, you will need paper towels or newspaper, paint thinner, soap, old cup or mugs, oil paint brush cleaner and gloves if you don’t want to soil your hands. Do not use detergent or paint strippers.
- The first step here is to remove excess oil paint from the brush as much as you can. Use a paint thinner to rinse it first before wiping them with paper towels. After that, rinse them in warm water and repeat it until you have removed majority of the paint.
- It is erroneous to think that all the paint has been removed after the first step. You will find that some paint is stuck deep in the bristles and leaving them that way will make them harden and unusable. Thus, you will need to rinse your brush in a paint thinner again. After that, wash the brushes individually with a bar of soap and if you are doing it well, you will see some color bleed into the soap. Do not push the bristles into the soap, but work in a pulling motion. Rinse with warm water and repeat the process until you no longer notice any color bleed in the soap. If you utilized strong colors in your painting, you have to include an oil paint brush cleaner into the process so that it will break down the oil paint.
- Finally, you need to mould the tip of your brushes into a neat edge and place it on a brush holder in an inverted position. Keeping the bristles folded against something will damage it permanently.
- It is advisable to use gloves when cleaning your brushes because some cleaning products are toxic
How to Remove Oil Paint From Clothes
To remove oil paint from your clothes, you will need the following: a paint thinner or turpentine, liquid detergent or bar soap, bowl and water. By following the following steps you will be able to remove oil paint from your clothes:
- Pick the thinner that corresponds to the type of paint that stained your cloth. If you don’t know the exact paint thinner or cannot find it, use turpentine instead.
- Stretch the cloth and apply the thinner on the portion that was stained. It is better to pour the thinner from the back of the cloth to the front as this removes the stain faster.
- Next, rinse with clean water
- If you find that the stain is not completely removed, repeat the process
- Rub soap or detergent on the area
- Rinse in the water again
How to Remove Oil Paint From Skin
As a beginner or professional painter, there will be times oil paint will smear on your skin. Do not panic, you will learn effective methods of removing the oil paint without causing harm to your skin.
- Mineral oil (such as coconut, olive, and flaxseed) or baby oil is very effective for removing oil paint from the skin.
- Pour a good quantity on the area that was affected by the paint
- Rub on it lightly and allow it to soak for 2-3 minutes
- Use your fingertips to rub the oil on the skin and gently scratch off the paint. You can also use a washcloth or cotton balls to remove the paint
- Use nail polish if the stain is still remaining on your skin
- Wash the area with water
- For tougher stains, you can use a pinch of salt and turpentine.
Frequently Asked Questions about oil paint brands
What is the best oil paint brand?
This oil paint review has succeeded in revealing the 10 best rated oil paint brands in the market today. That means that you can choose from any of the oil paints reviewed here. However, your choice may depend on whether you are a beginner or a professional artist. Take your time to read the review so you can make an informed choice
What do I need for oil painting?
If you want to start oil painting, you can get the following supplies from an art store before you begin: oil paint of different colors, proper painting brushes, newspaper (to clean your brushes while painting and afterwards, turpentine or paint thinner, linseed stand oil (optional for mixing colors), a charcoal pencil, a palette (anything comfortable can serve), messy clothes, a painter’s easel and a canvass or any other painting surface such as paper.
For a start, you need the following colors: Cadmium Red, Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow, Ultramarine Blue, Ivory Black, Cadmium Yellow Light, Permanent Alizarin Crimson and Pthalo Blue.
How do you make your own oil paint?
If you want to save yourself some money, create the exact colors that you need or feel closer to your materials, you may want to make your oil painting yourself.
You need the following materials: binders, grinding slab, pigments, empty paint tubes, a muller and pallete knife. Here are the steps you need to follow to make your own oil paint:
- Add the desired amount of pigment to a small quantity of linseed oil on the grinding slab.
- Mix the pigment and linseed oil slowly using the palette knife. Do it slowly to avoid scattering the particles.
- After it has mixed completely, add more pigment or linseed oil to enhance its consistency.
- Shift the entire mixture to one side of the glass, and pour a tablespoon full. Grind the paint in a circular pattern and remove when done to one side of the glass. Repeat for the rest.
- Move the entire mixture to the center and add more pigment or linseed oil if needed. Repeat the process again until you get a soft, buttery consistency.
- Use the palette knife to place the mixture in empty paint tubes.
- Make it airtight at the bottom and top.
- Label the paint tube with the color and date.
- Can you paint with oil paint on paper?
If you do not want to spend too much money on surface preparation, working on paper is your best bet. It is cheaper, simple to prepare and less formal. Professionals like paper because of its texture and drag. Also, well-prepared paper can be a permanent medium for sketches and paintings.
In this oil paints review, we have armed you with information that should show you the right direction with regards to oil paints when you want to start painting. The recommendations of the top 10 best oil paint for artists are aimed to assist you in deciding on the type of oil paint to purchase.
For professional artists, this review will remind you of the best selling oil paints or those you can consider for your work. For you to succeed in your painting business or project, you need to pick the best in the market. So, take a step and pick the top oil paint brands for your business or project.