Best Glass Markers: What Works and Which to Choose
Glass markers come in surprisingly handy around the home, especially if you like a bit of crafting. Perhaps you like to have friends round for a drink, in which case, glass markers may come in particularly useful.
If you run a business and want to add a contemporary spin to notice boards and menus, you may want to explore the versatility of glass markers.
Perhaps you remain unfamiliar with this medium and would like to know what kind of markers write on glass. Alternatively, you may enjoy the idea of creating glass art and need to know about the benefits of glass paint markers.
Join us as we explore a world of creativity and find the best glass markers for your projects.
What is Glass Markers
Glass markers are paint markers explicitly designed for drawing and writing on glass surfaces. You can write on wine glasses, windows, drinking glasses, and all manner of glass accessories.
The markers use various inks, including acrylic paint, oil-based ink, and chalk paint, depending on the pen type.
Some inks dry with a permanent finish while others easily wash off the surface with a cloth and soapy water.
Top 8 Best Glass Markers Review
If you want to know what type of glass markers to use on different surfaces, then look no further. We have compiled a great list of versatile markers for your consideration.
1. The Original Wine Glass Markers
- IT MAKES SPECIAL OCCASIONS EVEN MORE MEMORABLE - Your friends and family will get a smile on their face when they see their glass being served with their name lovingly written on it. Set them out before a party, barbecue, bridal or baby shower… or anytime people are gathering. Every social function can be made better using The Wine Glass Marker.
- EASY TO USE, AFFORDABLE AND MESS- FREE - Customize your drinking glass with unique designs to keep track of your favourite wine, beer or other beverage. Easy erasable with soap and water, dishwater safe.
- GIFT PACKAGING & AVAILABLE IN 5 METALLIC COLORS - Available in 5 metallic colors for ultimate fun and style, so let your creative flair have its day. The drink markers come in gold, silver, purple, red and green.
- GREAT FOR SO MANY DIFFERENT USES - label the spices and foods you store in glass jars. Label cheese plates or other dishes you bring to parties. Dinner plates with names written on them can substitute for place markers, and creative recipes can be clearly labelled so everyone knows what they are. Write messages on hallway or bathroom mirrors. Get creative with doodles on ceramic planters, or foster your kids' imagination by letting them draw on the windows or glasses.
- UNIQUE GIFTING IDEA FOR FRIENDS, FAMILIES AND WINE CONNOISSEURS: Give them as a gift for the hostess at the next party you’re attending. Add a personal touch to gifts by writing birthday or congratulations messages on wine bottles, picture frames or any glassware. Wine Charms Fresh Alternative
The Original Wine Glass Markers remain one of the best erasable products to draw on your glasses.
Personalizing your glassware with these pens makes the event all the more memorable and unique for your guests. The markers are easy to use and they are an excellent value for the money.
They prove versatile for many different occasions where an individual touch is required, available in gold, silver, purple, red, and green.
You can label wine glasses with your friend’s names or write on spice jars to identify the contents. The possibilities remain endless, and you can remove any design easily using warm, soapy water.
Furthermore, the neat packaging makes the markers an ideal gift, especially for wine lovers.
2. Vino Marker Metallic Wine Glass Washable Pens
- WINE TIME: Each pack of pens includes 4 markers, one silver, one red, and two gold pens.
- EASY TO USE: For red wine, write anywhere on the glass. Just let it dry for 3 to 5 minutes and it will stay on for the life of the party. The ink will not smear even while holding your wine glass. For white wine and cold drinks write on the base of the wine glass for best results. The ink washes off easily with warm soapy water.
- PERFECT PRESENT: Wine marker pens make a great hostess gift and housewarming present, and are a great party favor or unique gift idea for wine lovers. The ink is non-toxic and food grade allowing you to customize a multitude of surfaces.
- PARTY IDEAS: Vino Markers work on any glass or glazed ceramic surface. Perfect for wine tastings, to replace wine tags, to label a present, on canning jars, to add names to place settings, to replace wine charms....the possibilities are endless.
The Vino Metallic Wine Glass Washable Pens come in a set of four colors and they make a fantastic gift in their gorgeous black packaging.
The lovely colors include silver, red, and two gold pens to cover the most popular tones for writing on wine glasses.
The manufacturer advises writing on the wine glass base for the best results to avoid condensation melting the name when used with cold and chilled drinks.
The ink inside the pens is non-toxic and food-safe, making them a perfect alternative to drink charms. They also prove incredibly suitable for place markers on plates and tableware.
You can easily remove any design by washing the item in warm, soapy water.
3. Stationery Island Chalk Makers
- STATIONERY ISLAND CHALK PEN: Our liquid chalk markers are ideal for drawing on non-porous blackboards/chalkboards, whiteboards, restaurant boards, café menus, windows, or any other boards, signs or displays made from glass, metal, ceramic, or plastic!
- 3MM FINE NIB: The 3mm fine bullet nib on our liquid chalk pen offers a smooth writing experience with the capability for intricate detail.
- 10 VIBRANT COLOURS: Our Chalk pens come in 10 vivid colours, available in white, pink, purple, green, yellow, orange, red, brown and black.
- MESS FREE and EASY ERASE: Unlike window paint our easily erasable chalk pen wipes off in seconds from any non-porous surface. Always test your pens in a small area of your surface first to verify that the surface’s suitability and that it can be easily removed.
- SUITABLE FOR KIDS AND ADULTS: All our chalk pens are non-toxic, water based, safe for kids and suitable for those aged 3 years and above, making them ideal for any creative arts & crafts school projects, teachers, parents, artists, offices or businesses.
The Stationery Island Chalk Markers come in a pack of 10 assorted and vibrant colors. The range proves the perfect alternative to traditional chalk and particularly useful for writing on glass surfaces.
The chalk pens give a crisp, matte finish to your designs, perfect for window writing and drawing. And the fine nibs offer a smooth writing experience and allow you to create incredible detail.
The excellent color range includes pink, blue, purple, white, green, yellow, orange, red, brown, and black.
Additionally, the dry erasable chalk wipes off easily, making them particularly suitable for glass chalkboards and glass menus.
4. HBCT Creations Liquid Chalk Markers Set
- VINTAGE COLORS EDITION – This set comes with 10 artist quality beautiful pastel and earth tone colored liquid chalk markers. These classic colors are great for creating stunning artwork with unique rustic colors. We use the highest quality water based ink to ensure solid colors that go on smooth, don’t smudge, and dry quickly!
- EXTRA VALUE – Our Chalk Marker Set comes with 5 EXTRA REPLACEMENT TIPS, tip changing TWEEZERS and an awesome chalk marker tube designed to be used as a MARKER HOLDER to stay organized while you create and becomes an EASY STORAGE solution for next time.
- VERSATILE CREATIVITY – Our ECO-FRIENDLY chalk paint markers are dustless, odorless, and non-toxic making them a perfect choice for kids and adults alike. Our markers are ideal for writing on blackboards, glass, metal, ceramic, whiteboards, mirrors , bistro menu boards and more! These work best on non-porous surfaces, so please make sure to test first!
- QUICK & EASY CLEAN – Our water-based liquid chalk markers wipe clean with ease. Simply wipe the surface with a damp cloth to remove the artwork. Allow your kids to express themselves freely without worrying about a tedious clean-up. Artists enjoy the ability to erase and recreate as needed.
- QUALITY GUARANTEE – At HBCY Creations, we pride ourselves with a 100% Happy Customer Guarantee or your money back. We are confident in our products and stand behind them. Just reach out to us with any questions or concerns and we will be happy to help! We are also backed by Amazon’s A-Z Money Back Guarantee so your purchase can be worry free.
The HBCT Creations Liquid Chalk Markers set comes in a fantastic range of 10 vintage colors. The classic colors are perfect for creating stunning artwork in unique, rustic colors.
The water-based ink is smooth on application and won’t smudge. This set comes with five extra replacement tips and tip changing tweezers, and the packaging makes the perfect storage container.
Suitable for glass, windows, blackboards, metal, and ceramic, the set is versatile and easy to use. When you’re ready for a change, you just easily wipe away any designs with a damp cloth.
This set of 10 vintage colors is excellent for shops, restaurants, business presentations, and kids looking to express their creativity.
5. Arteza Acrylic Paint Markers
- Acrylic Markers in Bold Colors: Enjoy hours of fun with this set of 20 brilliant and opaque paint markers in 17 standard colors plus 3 metallics.
- For Rock Painting & More: These smooth, water-based paint markers can be used for canvas, ceramic surfaces, glass, wood, stone, and plastic.
- Easy-to-Use Paint Pens: The fine point tip is well-suited for precise work or hand-lettering. Never worry about wasting ink with the 20 replaceable chisel tips (plus tweezers) included in the set.
- Designed and Created by Artists: Here at Arteza, we are passionate about creating products that inspire. For us, art is an expression of the human experience. That’s why we work to make our art supplies accessible to all people.
- We Care About Our Customers: We want to ensure you have a great experience with our products because we truly care about our customers. Our team strives to create products we’re proud of. If you have any issues with our products, please reach out and we’ll make it right.
The Arteza Acrylic Paint Markers are the perfect set for those artists wishing to achieve a permanent finish on glass. After you create your artwork, bake the item in the oven to make the design permanent.
The set comprises 20 assorted colors, including 3 metallic pens that are vibrant and versatile enough for any crafter to use on glass. You can also use the set for pebble painting, for the decoration of wood and plastic.
The fine tip allows for intricate, detailed work. Replaceable nips come included in the set together with a pair of nib replacement tweezers.
The markers are non-toxic and water-based. And the ultraviolet resistant finish gives your designs durability.
6. Trio Art Paint Pens
- 【UNLEASH YOUR IMAGINATION FOR ART CREATION】: 18 Vibrant Bright Colors gives you wide range for creative art ideas (10 basic colors, 2 metallic colors & 6 pastel colors)
- 【PREMIUM QUALITY THAT YOU DESERVE】: ► Japanese Permanent Opaque Ink (water-based, quick drying, water proof, sun proof & fade-resistant) ► Premium Japanese Extra Fine Nylon Tip 0.7mm (Great for fine lining and detailed DIY craft projects, Also support smooth ink flow with strong covering force) ► Enhanced Pump-System Design (Excellent Air-tightness, durable preservation)
- 【TURN ON ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO A PIECE OF ART】: Trio Art painting pens MARKS ON ANYTHING (Rocks, Ceramic, Stone, Porcelain, Glass, Wood, Metal, Plastic, Fabric, Clothes, Shoes, Leather, Car tire, Canvas, Mugs & More)
- 【YOUR SAFETY IS OUR PRIORITY】: Safe and Eco-friendly Markers (Non Toxic, Odorless & Acid free) Also, conform to ASTM D-4236. and EN-71 safety standards. But keep away from direct contact with food and don't swallow.
- 【GREAT GIFT FOR YOUR BELOVED ONES】: Trio Art painting pens suitable for all ages and for beginner and professional artists (Pushing their creativity to the max)
The Trio Art Paint Pens arrive in a selection of 18 vibrant colors, including 10 basic colors, 6 pastel colors, and 2 metallic pens.
The permanent water-based ink needs baking in the oven once you complete the design and the fine nylon tip allows for intricate detail and drawing.
An enhanced pump-system design gives the ink superior flow and allows for drawing on glass, stone, pebbles, porcelain, and wood.
The set represents an excellent value for the money in an attractive presentation box suitable for storing your kit.
7. Sharpie Metallic Permanent Markers
- Durable fine point tip produces thinner detailed lines on even hard to mark surfaces. Ideal for birthday cards, note taking, and thank you notes
- No shaking or pumping needed to get the marker started simply uncap and write
- Made with specially formulated, opaque, permanent ink, this marker makes a permanent impression of light and dark surfaces
- Contains 6 pens, two each of gold, silver and bronze
- 2.875 inches long by 4.187 inches wide by 5.625 inches high. 0.83 pounds. Made in the USA
The Sharpie Metallic Permanent Markers remain one of the best of its type on the market. Sharpie a strong brand leader in the pen world.
The set consists of six metallic pens with two each of gold, silver, and bronze. A durable fine point tip produces thinner detailed lines on many hard surfaces, including glass.
The innovative design means no priming of the pens to start the ink flowing. Simply remove the cap to begin your design.
The ink is a specially formulated, opaque, permanent ink that, when dry, remains waterproof. The metallic finish is sharp and glimmering with a stunning sheen.
8. Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Markers
- Colored ink is perfect for rock painting, creating scrapbooks, posters and window art
- Quick drying oil based ink resists fading, smearing and water
- High contrast colors create opaque and glossy marks that stand out on dark, light and reflective surfaces
- Medium point lays down highly visible lines perfect for decorating windows
- Includes: Black, Red, White, Yellow and Blue Sharpie paint pens. Before use: Face tip upright, push against the finger. Recap and shake. Press tip for surface several times
The Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Markers offer a medium point for painting onto various surfaces, including glass, pebbles, and wood.
The colorful ink is oil-based and permanent, and the high contrast colors create opaque and glossy designs that last.
Sharpie provides medium point tips for this set that lays down highly visible lines that are perfect for decorating windows.
A selection of vibrant colors includes white, yellow, and blue. Before you use the pens, shake the markers well and press the tip down several times to activate the ink.
What are glass markers used for?
There is a wide variety of uses for these fantastic pens, including wine glass markers.
Writing the names of your guests on wine glasses is a nice touch when having a get-together. Plus, it will stop the drinks from getting mixed up!
You can use glass markers on glass whiteboards and glass menus as well. When you see menus written on the windows of cafes and restaurants, the chances are the artist made them using a glass marker.
You can also achieve some fantastic effects on glass jars, ceramics, and glass decorations using glass paint markers.
If you love crafting, then why not create your own stained-glass window effects by using glass markers? With such a stunning variety of colors and metallic finishes available, the only limit is your imagination.
An important note
Don’t use permanent or erasable markers on plates that you intend to eat from because the ingredients may prove toxic. Designs applied to glass and ceramic surfaces utilizing this medium are decorative only.
Recommended Read: Top 10 Watercolor Pencils
Two Types of Glass Markers
While you may find a wide variety of colors and finishes within the medium, two distinct types exist from which to choose.
The two varieties include permanent glass markers and erasable versions.
Temporary glass markers
Temporary glass markers are particularly useful for glass notice boards, glass menus, and for drawing on windows where you want to change the design.
Additionally, temporary glass markers prove very useful for writing names on drinking glasses and wine glasses when you don’t wish the moniker to remain permanently.
How to use temporary glass paint markers
You need to ensure the glass is perfectly clean and dry before drawing or writing on the surface. Once you have created your design, leave the item to dry before handling it.
When the party is over, you can easily wash the glass paint marker off the surface and start again!
With glass notice boards, the same rules apply, and you may wash away any writing with a cloth.
Glass markers remain incredibly popular for lectures, meetings, and teaching purposes for writing on glass surfaces.
Furthermore, writing menus and information is easy to achieve and equally simple to remove again when you want to write something different.
Permanent glass markers
Permanent glass markers come into their own if you want to create a permanent design. Consequently, most permanent markers of this type require the item’s baking after you complete the design.
Cleaning the glass with a little rubbing alcohol will ensure a grease-free surface for the marker’s application.
Build up the design in layers and leave each layer to dry before applying the next part of the decoration. You can intensify the color by re-applying the marker after each layer is dry.
When you have completed your design and allowed it to dry thoroughly, then you need to bake the item in the oven.
For the best results, follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for timings and temperature. However, some permanent glass markers do not require baking as the ink dries permanent.
Once you complete the baking process, leave the glass inside the oven to cool down naturally.
Most manufacturers recommend handwashing your decorated items. A dishwasher may prove too hot and abrasive and may destroy your hard work, so wash it by hand using warm, soapy water.
A handy tip
Most erasable glass markers will run or dissolve in contact with moisture and condensation. If you write a name on a glass, ensure to create the design above the liquid line to avoid as much condensation as possible.
Additionally, store your glass markers upside down to prevent them from drying out.
How Did We Find Our Recommendations?
With so many products on the market, it may feel like a chore trying to find the best products. Therefore, we went for items that displayed a large number of reviews.
Additionally, we wanted to ensure the quality of our recommendations. So we went for those markers displaying positive reviews.
The end-user remains the best source of truthful information because they have the experience of using the glass markers in their projects. The insight and knowledge gleaned from these users proved invaluable during the compilation of this comprehensive list.
The World of Glass Markers Explored
Glass markers offer a host of versatile applications for the artist, crafter, and retailer alike. Whether you want to create striking window displays or write names on a wine glass, markers for glass allow for many applications.
Wine glass markers make the perfect alternative to wine glass charms and the ideal gift for wine lovers. The temporary ink is easily washed away using soap and water.
Glass paint markers make for the perfect medium to draw on windows to advertise your store or menu. Additionally, the markers provide the ideal alternative to chalk for presentations and lectures.
You can easily remove the writing using a cloth to leave a clean surface for a new application.
Permanent glass markers represent the ideal medium for artists and crafters for use on glass and ceramics. You can create a variety of stunning effects and designs with colorful permanent markers and beautiful metallic markers.
Do you have any experience using glass markers? Why not leave your comments below and share your experience with us?